Saturday, April 10, 2010

New (to me) Bind off technique

After running out of yarn on those curly scarves, I thought, hey that really sucks. My friend Sandy once used a WHOLE SKEIN to bind off a scarf. 
Ridiculous!!!
So out of thrifty-ness and sanity (who can gauge how much yarn is needed to B.O anyway??) I dug thru my needle case and pulled out my never been used size I crochet hook. Documented below with pictures is the comparison.

This is the end of the Shoulder Sarong. Preparing to bind off!












This is how the traditional bind-off looked. Using the knit two, slip the first over the second, and proceed. 





Here is a Close-up:




This is the result after "crocheting" the remaining loops of the garment. I knitted to the end of the skein leaving a 3-4" tail and started on the opposite end and looped the last stitches off of the knitting needle with the hook. When I got to the end, I used that little tail to close off the bind-off, and weaved in the end. Voila!


 Close-up ==>

I can't tell the difference, and maybe there would be a problem if the pattern called to Bind off loosely. I've seen that before and thought, okay..bossy. :-)
Maybe crochet hook size matters. Maybe your last
row of stitches matters. Either way, this worked for me. Try it and see if it works for you! And let me know!  Have A Great Day!!!!
Here are the images side by side, for easy comparison:


Knit bind off



Crochet Bind-off

No comments:

Post a Comment